Kathryn Dean debuts at adult contemporary radio with ‘Be My Sin’
As a singer-songwriter armed with her own “unique perspective, musical integrity and soul bearing vocals,” Kathryn Dean has “immense depth and intelligence both lyrically and musically,” according to a press announcement posted on KathrynDeanOfficial.com. The San Diego artist is coming off a successful indie run promoting a 2014 self-titled debut EP that features her first single, ‘I’ll Show You Crazy.’ The barely 20-year-old Southern Californian has since released a debut full-length album titled, Hit the Lights, and the 10-track effort via Magnetic Red Records delivers an honest performance that tells her stories in a way that “inspires and impacts the human spirit like a true artist does.”
Hit the Lights was released behind first single ‘Be My Sin,’ which spent 12 weeks on the Nielsen BDS Mainstream Top 40 Indicator Chart, and enters the Mediabase Adult Contemporary airplay chart at No. 49. In addition, the associated official music video has nearly 650,000 views. “As ‘Hit The Lights’ is my first album and the debut of my music to the world, I really wanted to make sure it was an accurate representation of who I am,” Dean tells AllAccess.com.
“Throughout the process, I feel like I grew personally and professionally and I look forward to seeing how much farther the process of making another album takes me,” says Dean, who continues to All Access that songwriting has always been a “very cathartic process” for her. “My inspiration for songs comes from my own experiences and the experiences of those around me. While we all have different stories, I believe that we all deal with the same basic emotions.”
Dean explains the songs on Hit the Lights capture different sides of her personality. She reveals in an interview with Fanlala.com that the track ‘A Letter To You’ captures her more “sentimental” side, while ‘You Wish She Was Me’ demonstrates the “hidden sarcasm … [and] fun little one-liners” she uses to “keep people on their toes.” Dean adds her “rebellious side” comes out on ‘Maybe I’m Trouble,’ and the romantic in her is evident on ‘For Us We'd Do Anything.’ Overall, she describes Hit the Lights as a “rollercoaster” of genres from pop and rock to blues and “heart-wrenching” power ballads.
After emerging in 2014, the then-18-year-old upstart told Examiner.com the number one thing to know about her is that she writes or co-writes all her own lyrics and music. “I also think that my music, at least for me just writing it, is very cathartic. I hope my music is as therapeutic for listeners as it is for me to write.” Dean admits that while she loves all aspects of the music industry including “social media and all that stuff,” at the end of the day her true love and passion is singing, writing songs, and performing.
Dean is preparing to share her passion during March and April in Pawling, N.Y. (March 2), Fairfield, Conn. (March 3), and Teaneck, N.J. (March 4) before making a quick swing back to the Los Angeles Area for a March 22 show in Arcadia, California. She returns to the East Coast in April for performances in Londonderry, N.H. (April 6), Bay Shore, N.Y. (April 7), a two-night stand at the Iridium in New York City (April 8-9), New Hope, Pa. (April 10), and Fresno, Calif. (April 12).
Watch the official music video for ‘Be My Sin,’ the first single by singer-songwriter Kathryn Dean from her debut full-length album, Hit the Lights.
As A Matter of Fact…
* Kathryn Dean is a two-time finalist in Reverb Nation's Un-Signed Only American Song Writing Contest. She is also an International Acoustic Music Award recipient. Dean began to make a name for herself as a performer at a Sunset Sessions conference in her native California.
* First single, ‘I’ll Show You Crazy,’ was a popular addition to playlists at more than 40 public, non-commercial radio stations. In August 2014, Dean’s self-titled debut EP enjoyed a successful indie run as did her follow up EP titled, Hit the Lights.
* Dean’s full-length debut, also titled Hit the Lights, was released in 2015. The album’s first single, ‘Be My Sin,’ spent 12 weeks on the Nielsen BDS Mainstream Top 40 Indicator Chart, and recently entered the Top 50 on the Mediabase Adult Contemporary chart.
* Dean has toured with Anna Nalick (‘Breathe (2 AM)’) and took part in the Camplified Tour 2015, performing at summer camps in New York, Maine, Connecticut, New Hampshire, and New Jersey.
* The impressive songwriting catalog Dean has already compiled includes film, television, and compilation projects. Her songs ‘So Undeniable’ and ‘Told You So’ are featured on episodes of the Brazilian telenovelas “Malhacao” and “A Regra Do Jogo,” which boast an average viewership of more than 42 million per episode.
* As a result of Dean’s music being featured on Brazilian TV nighttime dramas, she has scored more than 10 million YouTube views and attracts an ever-growing international fan base. She is also included in a compilation album for the telenovela “Alto Astra,” which also features songs by Sam Smith, John Legend, and Gloria Estefan.
* A recent tour of Brazil included live performances by Dean on “Encontro” (Brazil's top entertainment talk show), the Carnival episode of “Malhacao,” and a concert at Globo Kiosk on the world famous Ipanema Beach.
* The “huge animal advocate” says her No. 1 influence is Adele. Dean also loves Mumford and Sons and claims the storyteller in her is drawn to Carole King and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young. Additional inspiration comes from the music of Stevie Nicks and Tracy Chapman, who Dean says encouraged her to embrace the fact that she’s an alto.